~The insights of crappy Jasmine gal~

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I am a Singaporean

My dad is a Malaysian and my mom is a Singaporean.
And I am a Singaporean who had lived on this tiny island
my whole life.

Since young, I had spent my days in nanny's home
or childcare center as both my parents are busy working.
We never had much time to communicate and
they showed their concerns to me by nagging.

I am now 23 and I feel lost.
I am questioning my own existence in this world.
I am questioning why life is life...

I am wondering why so many foreigners want to come to Singapore to work when some Singaporeans like me just want to leave..

Maybe sometimes it is because the government has protected us too well.. So well that we cannot learn to protect ourselves.

My name is Jasmine aka Jaschocolate.

I am a Singaporean. So say we all. So say we all.



p.S. it is supposed to be a voice blog but i got lazy.. Yea!!

5 Comments:

  • I am 29yrs old and I left Malaysia for the UK when I was only 8. For the first few months I was really home sick, and then after settling down and meeting new friends, I started loving it here.

    Its funny really, if I was given the chance to move back home to Malaysia, I would grab it with both hands. But as I still have relatives living in Malaysia, they'll love to be given the chance to move and stay over in the UK.

    I think because we take things for granted sometimes, and we dont apprreciate things that are around us.

    When I visited Singapore some 15 years ago, I really loved it and wanted to settle there. But now, Im quite happy living in the UK. But I still see myself as a Malaysian Chinese even tho my passport and identity card says BRITISH.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:23 AM  

  • Oh yah.. I tot of getting an aussie PR while I was there but then I tot of 1) Family 2) Friends and 3) Work... difficult. I decided that being a 5G still better la...

    However, if I'm given a chance to experience work there (or US or UK or.. ) for a while, I will gladly grab the chance to do so. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:51 AM  

  • dear jas,
    i somehow think that humans have this thinking "the grass is always greener over the other side of the land", so it makes us wan to explore ard the world to see wt's happening there.. but wen we settle oursevles dwn, somehow miss our home coz it's where we always belong eventually..

    if given a chance, it's always good to explore ard the world yet still missing home.. exploring the world means we have grown up, missing home means we hif a strong sense of identity wif Singapore.

    nah, however, i found new younger generation has lost our singaporeans identity.. this is wat i saw.. hope this trend is temp..

    well, i read ur frensdter blog n noe tt u quited ur job.. wat happens??

    hey, i'm quite paisei for nt meeting u guys often.. do "keep in touch" = K.I.T..

    millions kisses to u.. n tk care

    By Blogger simple, at 12:40 PM  

  • lazy lei you, never mind, i do the voice-over for you!

    hahaa

    By Blogger chartao, at 1:01 AM  

  • stanley: So touching.. How come i am not so patriotic :p

    An: I will love to go out there somewhere to study or work or just holiday for a long period..

    Kit Yee: Yes, I agree.. We usually yearns for things that are so far away from us, only to realise that it is not what we want when we finally got it.. Sighz..

    Leonard: How are you going to do that? Hahaha...

    By Blogger Jaschocolate, at 7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home